Occasionally it happens that you go on vacation and you end up having a great laugh because a place on that vacation had a funny name. That is simply what this blog post is about: places with funny names. I would like to apologize beforehand to those living in these places; it can’t be easy for you.
Here is one example: “You sir, where are you from?” “I come from Home.” “Yes, I understand you came from home, but from which city?” “Well I come from home….” etc, etc…
With that said, I did try to avoid writing too much about the United States. Simply because every second town/city seems to have a weird or funny name over there: Two egg, Cut and Shoot, Monkeys eyebrow, Disappointment, Dick Lick Springs, Looneyville, Rough and Ready, Horneytown, Hookersville: yes, these are places that do exist in America. You have to hand it to them though, as they seem to have been pretty original with name making in the past. Or did they just have an incredibly dirty mind?
Here you have Easytobook’s top 10 Funny City Names.
1. Condom – France. The population of this city has decreased drastically over the last ten years. I wonder why. Though If you were to visit this town, don’t forget to drink some Brandy, which this town is renowned for.
2. French Lick – USA. Considering what a French Kiss is, I don’t want to know what a French Lick is.
3. Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch – Wales. This city is most known for having the longest city name in Europe and even in the world. The short version for the name is Llanfairpwllgwyngyll , which I must honestly admit doesn’t help me much when I try to pronounce it.
“The church of St. Mary in the hollow of white hazel trees near the rapid whirlpool by St. Tysilio’s of the red cave.”
Want to know how to pronounce it? Watch this youtube video then.
4. Slut – Sweden. In Swedish this means ‘End’, while in English…not so good.
5. Hell – Norway. In Norwegian Hell means luck, while as you can see in English it means something totally different. I have a slight feeling it isn’t so funny to be religious and say in English that you live in Hell.
6. Peniscola – Spain. I do believe they pronounce this name differently than I do.
7. Wank – Germany. For the people living in this city I really hope it means something different in German than it does in English, or you can wonder what the person was doing when he/she came up with this name.
8. Batman – Turkey. The mayor of this city planned to sue Chris Nolan, who is the director of the famous Batman movies, and Warner Bros in 2008. He thought that the movie was to blame for the raising suicide and unknown murder rates in the city. I mean, really?
9. Fucking – Austria. If you say this really fast you end up saying, “I’m from fucking Austria (sorry for swearing).” I find that pretty funny, but that might be my bad humor only.
10. Herpes – France. Well… I wouldn’t go here if i were you.
If you look at our Google map you can see many more funny names.
And now to the question of the week, are any of you readers from any of these cities? or do you live in a city with a funny name?
P.S. I must admit I had some great laughs when researching for this post.