Come and say hello!
Find and follow us…
- Top Places to Visit in New Orleans
- Places to Visit in Seattle
- Top Places to Visit in San Francisco
- 7 Alternative Places to Visit in The U.S
- Las Vegas on a Budget
- The World’s Best Street Food
- Strangest Museums Around the World
- The Ultimate Guide to Rio de Janeiro Part II
- The Ultimate Guide to Rio de Janeiro part I
- Top 7 Cities to Party in Europe
All Time Popular Posts
- Public transport in Paris (31,933)
- Titanic facts (29,689)
- National Beer Brands Quiz (25,867)
- Worldwide greetings traditions (17,456)
- Public transport in London (15,735)
- Most amazing hotel pools (15,056)
- Ultimate Amsterdam Queen’s Day Guide (13,742)
- 10 things to do in Schiphol airport while waiting for a… (12,736)
- Top Paris Blogs: Get Inspired! (12,445)
- Hidden tourist gems in Paris (11,633)
Our main destinations
Subscribe to our feed
Tag Archives: Istanbul
Istanbul is a great destination for those looking for a unique cultural experience. As the country resides in the meeting of two continents (Europe and Asia), and has the biggest population in Europe, you can already predict the contrasts and rich history of this traditional yet cosmopolitan city.
Cross the Bosphorus back and forth and visit some of the city’s best selections of beautiful landmarks, exquisite markets, trendy or cozy nightclubs and a cuisine which will certainly not disappoint.
We have selected some of our favorite spots in the city, to guide you in the quest of worthwhile attractions, breathtaking landmarks and some very authentic venues, and of course read more
Pazarlik – bargaining (or haggling, for you followers of Brian) - is a skill, a social activity, and a decent tool to help you get a great deal on anything from carpets to cardamom. We don’t see much of it in the west, and as a result we can be poorly prepared to handle the tradesmen when we venture beyond our frontiers.
However, bargaining needn’t be a chore or a tribulation. If you follow some basic tips and principles of etiquette, bargaining in Istanbul can be as pleasantly an authentic experience as listening to the morning Ezan (Adhan) ring out from the mouth of the muezzin, or as puffing on a shisha in a traditional bar in the city’s old centre.
Here’s an intro to bargaining in Istanbul, which can be most thoroughly enjoyed in the Grand Bazaar (Kapalı Çarşı) and Egyptian Bazaar (Misir Carsisi), but is also useful in many of the city’s shops. Happy bargain-hunting.
Europe might be full of foreigners, small hotel rooms and questionable border security, but one thing it really does have going for it is the depth and breadth of history throughout the continent. Like tropical rainforest is for plant and animal species, Europe is an area of immense cultural richness.
What follows is an introduction to UNESCO-listed attractions in Europe. In this post I’ll concentrate on the most famous ones. However, it’s definitely worth looking beyond the obvious to uncover less well-known destinations.
Let’s move from west to east, so it will feel a bit like we’re travelling forward in time.